“Sport” as the SS and capos called compulsory exercise, was considered a punishment equal to hard labor.
Prisoners were made to assume all kinds of painful positions:
- roll (rollen) or crawl (kriechen) on the ground,
- jump or walk with deep knee-bends (hüpfen, Entengang),
- whirl in circles while standing on one leg, the other being raised (tanzen),
- fall down and get up (hinelegen/aufstehen),
- squat for some time (Kniebeugen), and
- run (Laufschritt).
During these exercise prisoners were beaten often, and death was frequent.
All Auschwitz paintings and art in this exhibit are copyright © Auschwitz Museum and Jan Komski. All rights reserved.