For a fuller treatment of ideas and concepts developed in this guide, see
Facing History and Ourselves Resource Book: Holocaust and Human
Other books of interest available from Facing History and Ourselves include:
For more information about bringing the history of the Holocaust to the
contact the national offices of Facing History and Ourselves:
- Elements of Time: a companion manual to the Facing History
collection of Holocaust testimonies-the result of a five-year collaborative
project between Facing History and the Fortunoff Video Archive at Yale University
made possible through the vision and support of Eli Evans and the Charles H.
Revson Foundation. The book includes transcriptions of the videos along with
essays by some of the many scholars who have addressed Facing History conferences.
- I Promised I Would Tell: Sonia Weitz's poetry and remembrances of
the Krakow Ghetto and various concentration camps including Plaszow and Auschwitz.
16 Hurd Road
Brookline, MA, 02146
222 N. LaSalle
Chicago, IL, 60601
296 West Terrace
Altadena, CA 91001
Christian Brothers Univ.
650 E. Parkway
S. Memphis, TN, 38104
225 W. 34th St.
New York City, NY 10122
Other national organizations that provide information on teaching the history
the Holocaust include:
- Joseph H. and Belle R. Braun Center of Holocaust Studies
Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith
823 United Nations Plaza
New York City, NY 10017
- Simon Wiesenthal Center
9760 West Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90035
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
100 Raoul Wallenberg Place SW
Washington, D.C. 20024
The following books can also be used by students and teachers to explore
topics and/or concepts highlighted in this guide:
- Bar-On, Dan. Fear & Hope: Three Generations of the
University Press, 1995.
- Berenbaum, Michael. The World Must Know: The History of the
Told in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Little Brown, 1993.
- Block, Gay and Malka Drucker. Rescuers: Portraits of Moral Courage
Holocaust. Holmes and Meier Publishers, Inc., 1992.
- Browning, Christopher. Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101
and the Final
Solution in Poland. HarperCollins, 1992.
- Dwork, Deborah. Child With a Star. Yale University Press,
- Hilberg, Raul. Perpetrators, Victims, Bystanders
- Isaacson, Judith. Seed of Sarah. University of Illinois
- Langer, Lawrence. Holocaust Testimonies: The Ruins of
University Press, 1991.
- Levi, Primo. Survival in Auschwitz, trans. by Stuart Woolf.
- Rittner, Carol and Sondra Myers, ed. The Courage to Care: Rescuers
During the Holocaust. New York University Press, 1986.
- Vishniac, Roman. A Vanished World. Schocken Books, 1983.
- Wiesel, Elie. Night. Hill and Wang, 1960 (paper, Avon).
- Social Education, Volume 59, Number 6, October, 1995, "Teaching About